- Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss! Is this a good time to admit that I hated Dr. Seuss as a kid? It’s true. I preferred realistic fiction even back then. The made-up words and strange animals were never as appealing as characters whose lives seemed more like mine–check out my ode to contemporary realism in teen fiction on Books in Bloom. I have come around to Seuss (and occasionally fantasy in general) as an adult, and fortunately, my daughter does not share my early bias against the fantastic. We’ll probably celebrate by playing her Dr. Seuss Matching Game and talking about her favorite Seuss stories.
- You might celebrate by contributing to this Kickstarter project to put Seuss’ words in lights on the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis.
- There are many, many more Seuss-related ideas on the obSEUSSed with Dr. Seuss pinboard on Pinterest.
- If you want something Seuss-related to feel outraged about, this commercial with The Lorax selling an SUV just doesn’t seem right no matter how Truffula Tree Friendly they say it is.
- It’s Free First Saturday at the Walker Art Center on March 3rd. Kids are always free at the Walker, but the first Saturday of each month is all about them. The theme is film, and you can get get a sneak peek of some of the short films they will be showing on the Walker Blog.
- The Nick and Eddie Winter Party on Sunday, March 4th has a great lineup of local bands. Starts at 4pm with Mayda, and there are 12 other bands. Well worth the $6 cover.
Disclosure: Amazon.com links are affiliate links. A portion of purchases made via these links earns a commission for this blog. Thanks for your support!