- The biggest thing in the kidlit/library world right now are the Youth Media Awards. The big announcement is on Monday morning, and the kidlitosphere is abuzz with predictions. My colleagues and I posted our picks on Books in Bloom this week, and A Fuse #8 Production has her Newbery and Caldecott picks here. I will be among many other librarians who will wake up early Monday morning to see what books from 2011 will be honored this year. It’s my Oscars. :)
- The Local Current blog is the latest project from Minnesota Public Radio. Among the first features is this post about Communist Daughter front man Johnny Solomon’s road to recovery. I mentioned Communist Daughter in this post after seeing them at the Loring Theatre last June. I’m a huge fan of the music, and Solomon’s story is remarkable.
- Fans of local music may also be interested in the Best New Bands of 2011 at First Avenue next week. Here is an article about the show that focuses on Night Moves and their recent record deal. Dream Crusher, which has been on this blog before, will also be playing, along with several others.
- The Artful Parent has a series of guest posts through the month of January aimed at parents that have covered all sorts of interesting topics, including children’s books, painting with light, and photography with kids. Stay tuned for more about children’s books on The Artful Parent in a guest post written by yours truly later in the month. :)
- The Minnesota Children’s Museum has a new exhibit opening this weekend based on the book Grossology by Sylvia Branzei, which is all about the icky parts of being human. I imagine kids will love it. We are hoping to go in the near future!
- As I mentioned in this post about graphic design, the Now in Production exhibit at the Walker Art Center ends this weekend. If you haven’t yet had a chance to see the exhibit, I recommend taking it in before it is off to New York.